Let’s Globe VoLTE in for simultaneous browsing and voice calls. Is your device ready?
There’s another acronym inching its way into the consciousness of Filipino consumers. After 3G, LTE, 4G, and 5G, comes VoLTE which is short for Voice over LTE, a technology designed to allow simultaneous mobile browsing and voice calls, as well as, provide higher quality mobile phone calls.
Prior to VoLTE technology, mobile phones connected to an LTE/4G or 5G signal needed to fall to a 3G or even 2G connection when receiving or making a phone call. This meant that browsing on your mobile would get interrupted as soon as you receive an incoming call and just resume browsing after the call has ended.
But with VoLTE, mobile browsing on a LTE/4G/5G connection while on a voice call would now be possible. And the quality of the voice call would be even more crystal clear.
The good news is that Globe has already fully enabled VoLTE in the National Capital Region, Rizal, Bulacan and Cavite and is currently rolling out the technology in various parts of the country.
For Globe customers in the VoLTE-ready areas, they may check if their mobile phone is VoLTE-capable in the Online FAQs . They may also get in touch with a Globe representative through Globe Facebook Messenger and Twitter accounts once VoLTE is available commercially.
Most of the newer smartphone models already support VoLTE. Setting up VoLTE is easy. On Samsung mobile phones, the VoLTE option can usually be found under Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks category. Just turn it on and the phone will use the LTE data networks for calls whenever possible. On an iPhone, it is under Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options. For Huawei, it can be done by going to Connections>Mobile Networks>VoLTE Calls.
VoLTE-capable devices in the Philippines include the following:
- Samsung A Series (A30, A30s, A50, A50s, A51, A01, A71, A80, A7 (2018), A6 (2018), A10, A10s, A6+ (2018), A11, A21s, A31, A70)
- Samsung S Series (S20 Ultra 5G, S20+, S20, S10+, S10, S10e, S9+, S9, S8+, S8)
- Samsung Z Series (Z Flip, Z Fold, ZFold2)
- Samsung Note Series (Note 10+, Note 10, Notel 10 Lite, Note 9, Note 20 and Note 20 ULTRA 5G)
- Huawei P Series (P40 Pro+, P40 Pro, P40, P30 Pro, P30, P30 Lite)
- Huawei Mate Series (Mate 30 Pro, Mate 30 Pro 5, Mate 30, Mate 20 Pro, Mate 20, Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro)
- Huawei Nova Series (Nova 7i, Nova 7 SE, Nova 5T, Nova 3I, Nova 7 (5G)
- Huawei Y Series (Y9 Prime (2019), Y9 (2019), Y9S, Y7 Pro)
- Apple (iPhone 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XR MAX, XS, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, SE)
- Nokia 7.2
- Oppo Reno 4 and A53
For areas with poor signal quality, Globe customers may use VoWiFi (also known as WiFi Calling), a complementary technology to VoLTE which also provides better call experience and allows simultaneous voice call and browsing. Instead of relying on the traditional cellular phone network, VoWiFi uses an available WiFi network without the need for any app. VoWiFi-capable phones can use VoWiFi to make and receive important calls as long as they have good WiFi connection.
The following models can be used for VoWiFi:
- S20 Ultra 5G, S20+, S20, S10+, S10, S10e, S8+, S8
- Note 10+, Note 10, Note 10 Lite, Note 9, Note 20 and Note 20 ULTRA 5G
- Z Fold, Z Flip, Z Fold2
- A10, A10s, A20, A30s, A50, A50s, A70, A80, A7 (2018), A6 (2018), A6+ (2018), A11, A21s and A31
Apple (iOS 14.0)
- iPhone 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XR MAX, XS, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, SE
- P40 Pro+, P40 Pro, P40, Mate 30 Pro, Mate 30
VoLTE and VoWiFi calls will be charged like a regular call. Consumers who are registered to Globe unli calls promo can also have unli VoLTE calls within Globe.
Globe is continuously improving its network and upgrading to 4G LTE/5G for a better data experience. Since 3G is nearing its obsolescence, the company is encouraging customers to switch to a 4G LTE/5G-ready SIM for free by securing a Globe Store appointment via http://glbe.co/abs-queue or the GlobeOne app. They may also avail of affordable 4G LTE smartphones through https://shop.globe.com.ph/ or get them as prepaid kits, a freebie with new postpaid lines, or for postpaid plan renewal.
This is part of Globe’s commitment to support 10 of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, such as UNSDG No. 9 on building resilient infrastructure, promoting sustainable industrialization and fostering innovation.