#makeITsafePH: Steps to do If Your Social Media Account Was Hacked
#makeITsafePH; Globe Telecom created a campaign which aims to inform their customers of the dangers that can be found in the internet and how to keep oneself safe from them.
In this era of modernity, one thing that revolves most of our lives is the internet. In one way or another, the internet is seen in every aspect of our lives, may it be for social, work or home purposes. This platform has been developed in such a level that it can be considered the most useful form of technology, but it can also be the most dangerous one out there.
Everyone is vulnerable to the threats and hazards that can be brought by the internet and Social Media sites.
Some even more susceptible than others, in the event your Social Media was hacked, here are a few steps you should take, immediately:
- Check Your Computer for Malware: Most hackers collect passwords using malware. Run a full virus scan on your computer to remove harmful files and programs. Restart your computer and run the scan one more time to be safe. Changing your passwords without cleaning your system might not lock hackers out of your accounts. I highly recommend you use Norton 360 for this task, I personally use this software to protect my computers from virus and malwares ever since it came out to the market.
- Reset Your Password: You should also make your password stronger, I suggest you make it 10 characters long and use capital letters, lower case letters, numbers and symbols.
- Enable 2-Step Verification (2SV): 2-Step Verification adds an extra layer of security to your account. By requiring a special code sent to your phone when your account settings are changed, you can make sure you’re always aware if someone is trying to get into your account.
- Revoke Permissions from Third-Party Apps: Go through your authorized third-party apps and remove any that you don’t need.
- Check That Your System Is up to Date: In fact, set your computer to automatically update automatically so that you get protection from new attacks as soon as possible.
- Notify Friends and Family: Immediately inform your friends and family know you’ve been hacked, especially in case they received any money requests.
- Check Your Email Settings: Check your mail settings as hackers can change your settings to forward a copy of your emails. You should also review your signature to make sure they haven’t left any hidden codes or traces. Also, don’t forget to check for an activated auto-responder aimed to turn your email into a spam machine.
- Report Any Spam or Scams: Make sure you report the hacking so that the Social Media site can stop the attack from spreading.
- Contact Support: Contact support to help you regain control of your account.
#makeITsafePH is the kind of campaign this generation needs given that each day cybercrime rate continues to rise in all parts of the world.
Join this campaign and do your part to #makeITsafePH and make sure you protect your PC and Mobile device with Norton 360.